Monday, March 4, 2013

Janet Spaulding

After working part time for the Indianapolis Public Library as a page and a clerk with the summer reading program while I was in college and library school at Indiana University, I joined the staff full time in 2002. In 2003, I became a children’s librarian at a branch and, three years later, in 2007, the page supervisor at the branch.


ABOUT YOUR JOB


Janet Spaulding
Since 2010, I have served as the juvenile and teen collection development librarian for the Indianapolis Public Library. I work with library staff to maintain these collections and am responsible for the selection of new materials.

What would most surprise people about your current job?

When I tell people what I do, their response it to tell me how great it must be to be able to sit and read books all day. I wish!

How do you stay current?

I am constantly reading a variety of review journals and professional journals. I have a number of websites that I look at regularly to stay up-to-date on what is popular in entertainment for youth of all ages. I follow about a hundred blogs that cover a variety of perspectives – author blogs, review blogs, pop culture blogs, blogs written by teens, and blogs written by fellow librarians. Most important is word of mouth – I love talking to kids and teens about what they are reading.

How do you measure success?

Much of my selection of materials is driven by patron demand. I spend a lot of time reading about trends and about future releases, trying to select titles that I think will appeal to my patrons. Success for me is looking in the catalog and seeing that the items that I have selected are checked out or that people have placed holds on items. I also love it when kids come and tell me about a book that they got from the library. 

[After Janet sent her responses to these questions, she shared the following anecdote on Facebook: I worked the reference desk at Central this afternoon. It absolutely made my day when I heard a little voice behind me say, "Mom, look! It's my favorite librarian!" When I turned around, I found myself receiving a big hug... I love being someone's favorite!]

JUST FOR FUN

Paper or digital?

While digital options are very popular, I still love paper. For me, the act of holding the book and feeling the paper is an important part of the reading experience.


E-mail Janet at jspaulding@indypl.org 


And if you haven't liked/followed the Blog over at our Facebook page, I hope you'll take a moment to do that too!

No comments:

Post a Comment